Table Of Contents
You may want to paint your house for several reasons. Maybe the exterior walls have started losing curb appeal, or the interior walls look like they need a fresh coat of paint. Even after painting your home, you may still wonder how often you should paint your walls.
Here, you can learn about signs your house needs painting, why you should choose high-quality paints, and how to choose good paint colors. This post also considers reasons to hire professional house painters.
Signs You Need to Paint Your Walls
It makes sense to schedule a paint job before you paint your home. This applies to painting your home interior and home exterior. However, you may wonder when exactly this scheduling needs to take place.
You can use the following signs to know when to paint your walls:
Signs on interior walls
There may be signs of wear on interior walls:
- Chipped corners
Signs on exterior walls
There may be signs of wear on exterior walls:
- Cracked caulking
- Bare metal or rust
- Raw wood
- Fading, blistering, or peeling paint
Signs on kitchen walls
Kitchen walls can show signs they need repainting:
- Discoloration from cooking
- Food stains
Signs on hallway walls
High-traffic areas, including corridors and entryways, may show signs needing a repaint:
- Too much wear and tear
- Fingerprint marks
- Scuffs and dents
- Worn corners
How Often to Paint Your Walls
The frequency of repainting your walls largely depends on the amount of use and wear and tear. As such, you can expect your kitchen and bathroom walls to be repainted more often than in living rooms and bedrooms.
Frequency of applying exterior paint
It would be best to repaint your home exterior once every six to ten years. This is because natural elements can cause paint to wear more quickly. However, you likely need to focus first on the sides of your house that take significant sun damage.
Frequency of applying interior paint
Your home interior is usually not exposed to natural elements such as rain or snow. As such, interior paints tend to last longer than exterior paints. Many homeowners typically refresh their home interior paint every 5 to 15 years. This is the case even when there's no wear and tear. They may simply want a color change.
How often do you paint your house interior?
You may consider it ideal to repaint your house interior after every three to five years.
How often do you repaint interior walls?
You should ideally repaint your interior walls every three to five years. However, you may repaint sooner if you remodel your home or change the style of your room.
Always consider the rooms with the most wear and tear when repainting interior walls.
Wall Painting Frequency Depending on the Room
Painting your home's interior can be tasking. You need to make sure the paint lasts as long as possible. However, the paint in certain bedrooms can begin to look faded with time.
You may repaint your children's bedrooms every two to three years. A fresh coat of paint in an adult's room can stay for up to eight years. Be sure to consider changing trends and preferences when choosing paint colors. After all, choices of paint colors can differ for five-year-olds and teenagers.
Living and dining rooms
Living rooms and dining rooms can be repainted every five to seven years. This will help your living room to look fresh and welcoming continually. If you are sure that the primer base and paint quality are of a high standard, repainting your walls can likely wait up to five to eight years. However, if the initial paint job was poor, you may need to repaint your walls sooner.
Kitchen and bathrooms
An ideal frequency of repainting kitchen and bathroom walls is every three to four years. In addition, you can apply a waterproof topcoat to increase durability.
Other Surfaces to Consider Painting Regularly
Baseboards and trims
Your baseboards and trims can use a fresh coat of paint every two to three years. This will help maintain their looks.
Ceiling paint usually lasts twice as long as wall paint. It can even last up to ten years if it is professionally painted. However, you can repaint your ceiling every second instance of painting your walls. A professional house painter can, right from the start, get your walls and ceiling painted with a long-lasting finish.
Why You Should Choose High-Quality Paints
Using high-quality paint will help ensure your paint lasts longer. Moreover, high-quality paints have higher durability and washability. High-quality paints can allow easy cleaning of walls without the paint peeling off. An advantage of using high-quality paints is that you can easily wipe them down. In addition, they last long in humid areas.
How to Choose Good Paint Colors
Paint colors play a significant role in increasing the value of your property. In addition, choosing the right painting color can help boost your home's curb appeal. Here are some tips you can use to choose good paint colors.
- It is preferable to use a light shade as darker colors absorb more sunlight. This makes such paint colors fade faster. Besides, light color shades help increase the lifespan of exterior paints.
- Choose a highly durable finish for children's bedrooms, such as an eggshell or pearl/satin sheen finish. This will help make sure the paint lasts longer. Likewise, you can use an eggshell sheen finish to paint hallways with a lot of foot traffic.
- When it comes to ceiling painting, you can go with the most popular flat white color.
Top Tips for Painting Your Walls
You can use the following painting tips when painting your walls:
- Call your house painter before you see signs of wear and tear or multiple paint peels.
- Painting early helps reduce the amount of prep work needed. There is less need for scraping and caulking. This can save you some money.
- Oil-based paints tend to be more durable when compared to water-based paints. However, they both have their relative advantages.
- Be sure to buy the correct type of paint that suits your home. For example, a home with an exterior made of brick or stucco requires a different paint than one with a wood or metal exterior.
- Use a non-abrasive cloth and mild soap when washing interior walls. Abrasive materials can burnish paints.
- Routinely cleaning home exteriors once a year can help reduce the risk of paint contaminants like mildew.
- Unless you are trying new paint color ideas, you can repaint every three to five years. This will keep your walls looking fresh and welcoming.
Reasons to Hire Professional Wall Painters
There are advantages to hiring professional painters to repaint your walls:
- For a start, you can be sure they will properly prep your walls so the painting job looks professional.
- They know to use the highest quality paints for all painting projects.
- You can depend on professional painters for related projects like garage door painting and exterior trim painting.
- Likewise, they can also handle various commercial painting projects for fresh-looking walls.
Have Your Walls Professionally Painted
Now that you have the answer to how often should you paint your walls, you should know if your walls are due for repainting. Indeed, having your walls professionally painted has its benefits. Get professional painters to take care of your wall painting or any other painting project and you won't be disappointed.